A mod for Minetest 0.4.14. Work in progress. Created by vlapsley.
The inspiration for this mod is my home country, Australia. I've tried to bring the landscape and flora into the game of Minetest. Enjoy and think of visiting Australia next time you travel abroad.
Stone. No change from the default game.
The mangroves of Queensland and Northern Territory. Watch out for crocodiles!
Beautiful sandy beaches. You will find lots of Brown and Giant Kelp.
Great Australian Bight
Sandstone cliffs and wild ocean.
Sandy beaches and dolphins.
Great Barrier Reef
The most amazing coral reef off the coast of Queensland.
White sand beaches and palm trees.
The south-west corner of Western Australia. Forests of Jarrah, Karri and Marri.
Amazing beaches, the dazzling Illawarra Flame Tree in your garden, and a monstrous Moreton Bay Fig to pick fruit from. The east coast of Australia is the perfect place to build your holiday house.
Hot, dry and lots of nothing in the center and south of Western Australia. Except gold. Lots of gold.
Tropical wetlands in the Northern Territory.
Gulf of Carpentaria
Sub-tropical area between Cape York in Queensland and Darwin in the Northern Territory.
Far North Queensland
You'll find the tropical Daintree rainforest near the coastline and eucalypt forests inland along the Cape York Peninsula.
One of the hottest parts of Australia is the north-west of Western Australia. The rocky, gravel surface is red due to the amount of hematite in the ground. You'll find lots of iron ore here. Don't forget to bring plenty of water.
The north-west of Western Australia is where you'll find the odd-shaped Boab Tree. Is it the flora or the chance of diamonds that brought you here?
The island of Tasmania is the most mountainous state in Australia. Much of Tasmania is densely forested. The Tarkine, located in island's far North West, is the largest temperate rainforest area in Australia. In the south you'll find the tallest flowering tree in the world, Eucalyptus Regnans, the Swamp Gum.
Great Dividing Range
The Great Dividing Range is Australia's most substantial mountain range. The range stretches more than 3,500 km (2,175 mi), running the entire length of the eastern coastline.
The cool mountains and southern, central and north-eastern Victoria are dominated by wet eucalypt forests. Blue Gum, White Box and Swamp Gum will all tower over you.
The Flinders-Lofty bioregion in South Australia has a general pattern of mountain ranges, ridges and wide, flat plains. Some of Australia's best wines come from this region.
The Murray–Darling basin is a large geographical area in the interior of southeastern Australia. Its name is derived from its two major rivers, the Murray River and the Darling River. River Red Gum are know to drop large branches, so watch your head when resting in their shade.
The Mulga Lands are a bioregion of eastern Australia consisting of dry sandy plains scattered with mulga trees.
Central Australia, the 'Red Centre', is the place where you will find the most famous monolith, Uluru and it is where the heart of the outback beats.
The area is extremely hot and dry. Famous for it's red sand dunes.
The highest parts of the Great Dividing Range.
- Redo some tree textures, especially wood. Some of them are great, some are awful.
- Opals in Central Australia biome.
- Work out way to place some trees and plants along rivers.
- Salt lakes in Central Australia biome.
- Adjust tree and plant distribution.
- Adjust tree size and leaf functions.
- Add some rocky beaches.
- Add some river/lake plants, especially to Arnhem land biome.
- Add terra rossa soil and grape vines in the Flinders-Lofty biome. Red/white wine.
- Add more logs.
- Add moss on trees.
- Palm trees in FNQ and Arnhem land beaches.
- Add support for survival mod/game.
- Add support for a mobs mod - Great White Shark, Tiger Shark, Saltwater Crocodile, Brown Snake, Tiger Snake, Emu, Kangaroo.
- Download the .zip file
- Extract the .zip archive with an archive manager (WinZip, 7-zip, gunzip...)
- Rename the directory to australia and place it in the
/modsdirectory of Minetest.
Download using Git
- Open the terminal (in Linux) or the Git shell (in Windows), and set the working directory (the mods folder) using
cd- for example
- Clone (download) Australia:
git clone https://github.com/vlapsley/australia.git.
- Next time, you can automatically update Australia mod with the same
git pull origin master.
The Australia mod has been designed specifically for the Valleys mapgen, currently in Minetest 0.4.14. It will work with mapgens v5, v7, flat and fractal, but it won't be as visually appealing. The rivers and temperature/humidity of the Valleys mapgen play a vital role in getting the feel of the Australia mod just right.
You can enable/disable biomes by opening the init.lua file and changing each biome setting to
1 for enabled or
0 for disabled.
This will also disable plants, trees and more that are unique to that biome.
All biomes are enabled by default. Currently, disabling the Underground biome will have no effect.
- Added new corals and sea grass.
- Replaced coral sand with coral stone.
- Added sunken woodships and submarines with variable "loot".
- Fixed an issue with the rainforest tree schematic causing Minetest 0.4.14 to crash on startup.
- Changed ore distribution to use minetest.register_ore function.
- Added uranium in two biomes if technic_worldgen mod is enabled.
- Added 4 new corals to the Great Barrier Reef biome.
- Added Brown and Giant Kelp to some ocean biomes.
- Changed muddy river water opacity. It's now much harder to see underwater in these rivers.
- Removed necessity to use voxel manipulator, voxel.lua file.
- Fixed noairblocks.
- Fixed a naming issue with some fern textures, credit: Napiophelios.
- Added ferns.
- Fixed muddy water bucket.
- 24 biomes
- 6 new stone nodes, 4 non-stone nodes
- Dirty river water
- 48 trees
- 10 plants
- 4 corals
- Original tree code adapted from Gael-de-Sailly GNU GPLv3, original source can be found at and duane-r BSD license.
- Original tree schematic creation code modified by vlapsley and orginal by duane-r BSD license.
- noairblocks.lua : Code modified from Duane Robertson's valleys_c mod. Original code modified from Perttu Ahola's noairblocks mod and released as LGPL 2.1.
- Sunken woodship and submarine code modified by vlapsley and original copyright (C) 2011-2012 by celeron55, Perttu Ahola firstname.lastname@example.org, (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode) GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
- Mangrove mud copyright (C) 2006 by dobroide, CC by 3.0
- Moss textures by Neuromancer, WTFPL.
- Fern textures by Mossmanikin, WTFPL.
- Giant Kelp textures copyright (C) 2012 by celeron55, Perttu Ahola, CC BY-SA 3.0.
- Textures from Minetest Game, Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0), http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- All other textures by demon_boy github, Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0), http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/